Coordinates the purchasing of raw materials, packaging and production supplies for Plant location. Ensures adequate quantities for achieving scheduled production goals and meeting customer requirements. Responsible for the quality, quantity and cost of raw materials to ensure compliance to company standards and budgets. Serves as back up for Purchasing Manager and front office personnel.
• Orders raw materials and packaging based on price, inventories, and availability to ensure compliance to company policies and procedures.
• Monitors raw material and packaging inventories to ensure sufficient quantities to cover scheduled production and schedule changes and meet customer emergencies.
• Contacts potential new suppliers to request periodic quotations, evaluate current market conditions and ensure the best pricing for the company.
• Utilize plant-based tools to ensure all raw materials and packaging are ordered within specifications and according to company quality programs.
• Ensures suppliers who provide out-of-spec materials are notified and provide credit on a prompt basis.
• Utilizes contract suppliers and ensures prices and specifications conform to contract terms.
• Provides information to internal customers, including R&D, QA, Technical Services, marketing, sales, finance, procurement and inventory control.
• Ensures compliance to all federal, state and local laws and company policies.
• Coordinates disposal of inactive inventory by the most economical and safe method.
• Coordinates with other department managers to ensure proper purchasing, scheduling, processing, packaging, accounting and inventory control activities and procedures.
• Performs special projects as needed within the procurement department.
• Compiles and submits information for all required plant/corporate monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
• Ensures compliance to quality, food safety, 5S, OSHA and HACCP support programs; assures conformity to all company, customer and government standards.
• 3+ years of purchasing or related experience, preferably in a food-related industry.
• BS/BA degree in business management or related field preferred.
• SAP experience preferred
Works primarily in an office environment, with 25% or less time in a manufacturing environment, where the employee is regularly required to speak, read, sit, stand, walk, climb, crouch, lift, reach, grasp and bend while moving about the facility. Requires some lifting of moderately heavy items such as file boxes. May be required to work evenings and/or weekends as needed. The employee may periodically be exposed to non-ambient temperatures, odors, dust, oil, slippery floors, moving parts/equipment. The noise level in the office is moderate and loud in the plant. Ear protection, eye/face protection, hair/beard nets, steel-toed/slip-resistant shoes, and gloves are required as necessary in accordance with company GMP and safety standards.